Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiDas > What to Expect When Reprograming a Used ...
What to Expect When Reprograming a Used ECM on a 2005 Saab 9-7x w/5.3 GM engine.

8860 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: 2014-04-14 15:54:45

•   Level 2   
    (42) points
    Great Cars
    2014-04-10 04:10:23
     Just purchased the MaxiDAS DS708 and I'm very impressed so far.  The registration process was a pain, maybe a website issue more than anything.

My first project was to troubleshoot a "A/C Clutch Command On" Issue.  After replacing a HVAC Automatic Control Module the command issue was still present.  MaxiDAS was critical in helping me to read the command status and consequently lead to isolating the issue to the ECM, with the aide of Power Probe 3 as well.

I am looking for a used ECM and have located several that should match up.  I will make sure that the #'s match or cross for this vehicle.  As stated I'm working on a 05 Saab 9-7x with the GM 5.3 V-8.  This vehicle is a GMC Envoy, Trailblazer that has been rebadged with minor cosmetic changes, but the heart and soul is GM.  As a matter of fact I had to enter GM in order for the Scan tool to recognize. 

My question is can the tool successfully program the used PCM for this application or will I have to take it to the dealer?

Or do I look for preprogramed ECM that you supply the VIN and they  program a reman and send it to you ready to plug and play?

I've watched several training videos and one to note of the gentleman who reprogramed a 2005 Honda Pilot successfully.  This leads me to believe that it is possible to do if you follow certain defined steps.  

Q.  Does the tool walk you through the process or has someone, such as the 05 Honda Video, explained the correct and workable method to have a successful experience with any vehicle or make?

I hope to receive a answer quickly so I can make a informed decision as to the way I should address replacing the PCM in The Saab 9-7x.

Thanks in advance
    Dan 
    Great Cars

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-04-10 06:39:23 (Reply to:Great Cars)

Hello first the maxidas does not flash ecm/pcm which is what needs to be done in this case vehicle calibrations are built for each vin number so you have to make sure you have the right vin number for the powertrain you have in order to flash it correctly the only way to change the vin on the replacement ecm/pcm is by flashing it then you have to to perform vtd relearn this can only be possible with the maxisys pro on autel server or you will need to purchase a passthru j2534  install it on a laptop then buy a 2 day sub with gm for 55 dollars, if this was a honda or most japanese cars then is a different story since no flashing is required to change vin numbers  and key learning which it can be done with the maxidas in most cases hope i answer your question  good luck.

•   Level 2   
    (42) points
    Great Cars
    2014-04-10 19:41:44 (Reply to:ede65)
     I ordered a remaned ECM and the supplier is flashing it for me.  Are you saying that I will not be able to install the newly flashed ECM  unless I purchase "Passthru J2534" for an additional fee of $55.  

I am sure that I read that the MaxiDas 708 would not only flash but for sure reprogram keys and do tire reset proceedures and much more.  

Now the real story of the tool is getting clearer.

I spent weeks watching Autel videos and reading testimonies, and reading and rereading the spec's and I was convinced that this tool did it all.

Not a happy camper.
    Talk about misleading information.  The Honda Pilot Video was very straight forward information and details about the capabilities of the MaxiDas 708.  Main reason I bought the tool. 

Thanks for you response ede65

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-04-11 05:52:24 (Reply to:Great Cars)

If you buying an already flashed ecm with the vin already written there is no need for a j2534   forget the whole flashing part all you will need is to relearn the keys by doing a 3 times 10 minutes  now honda and many other japanese cars are done differently like i said above just change the vin and program the keys with the maxidas   read my post above again i am sure you missed something   there is a difference between flashing and programming  and all cars are done differently  and there is no misleading information the 708 does Hondas with no problem  and remember your original question was based on a used ecm 

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-04-11 14:52:18 (Reply to:ede65)

also my english its not the best i have to translate all this in my mind before i type it   and sometimes its hard to explain  but if there is something you don't understand ask me again i will try to explain it differently 

•   Level 2   
    (42) points
    Great Cars
    2014-04-14 10:09:00 (Reply to:ede65)
     my problem with ECM is resolved with a relearn as you indicated.
    I'm having a issue with the A/C Clutch not responding to command, yet the clutch can be Power Probed to work.  I have run thru the wiring diagram and followed every instruction to the end, yet the ECM is not sending a command to the A/C relay.  I've triple check all the wiring for open or shorts and have not found any.  I've check all fuses.  I've checked all continuity within the circuit and everything is good.  I've replaced the HVAC control module.  I've replaced the ECM.  I've checked the system for leaks and proper charge and that is good.   I've followed the AllData process step by step and I'm stumped.  The low pressure switch when jumped does not activate the A/C clutch.  The A/C relay has been swapped with several known good ones and that has not solved the issue.  Without a command signal the A/C will not engage.  I've explored all amibient temp. sensors.  I've even pulled the fuse box apart under the hood and inspected each contact for continuity and no issues all checked good.  I've checked all connections which all the grounds and power wires good through.  I have not preformed any voltage drop test, only because I am still uncertain of that procedure and was not directed to do so in the procedures or step by step diagnoistics.  I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a solution.  I almost want to condemn the A/C Clutch for a bad ground and the ohms test showed bad, but when I power it up independant it works.

Any insights would be helpful.
    The Autel does tell me that a signal was sent but the clutch is not engaging. 

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-04-14 15:54:45 (Reply to:Great Cars)

You said you have a 2005 saab with an envoy powertrain but how about everything
    else inside that vehicle is it from the envoy or do you still have saab parts in it they
    are 2 different system with different components so I need to know if all wiring and
    modules have been swapt as well
  Total1 Pages